Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Good, the Bad and the Pretty

The Good
Engagement

My small groups are loving Nearpod! When my Haiku vocabulary lessons, and Touchcast and Powtoon videos were integrated with Nearpod, my lessons were infused with "Woah! What just happened?" and "Cool! Is that your voice, Mrs. Michalski?"
Concentration~
He was the star of the lesson!

It was nice to be able to share student examples anonymously, in order to discuss what could be done to make them better and what was done well.

I particularly enjoyed how careful they were to edit their sentences, before submitting them to be viewed by the group!

I shared two Haikus on Meaningful Sentences and the Powtoon video on prepositional phrases with the classroom teachers. Two of them used everything I shared. This has been an exciting adventure; more engaging for myself and students than I expected.

The Bad
My Touchcast was pretty bad! I was tired and slow at using the app, and it showed in the lesson! I will definitely use it again, when I'm more alert.

Another bad experience is currently with ShadowPuppet. One of my reading groups worked hard on a readers' theater. They practiced reading with expression, took pictures of the illustrations and marked up their parts, so that they would be able to pass the iPad around to each other efficiently. Alas! the microphone is not working in the app. I get a message that says the mic is being used by another app. Blasted! I have closed all apps, checked settings for sound and for ShadowPuppet.edu; even restarted the iPad. No luck. Honestly, I will go into a depression, if I cannot use ShadowPuppet any more! Help 880j!

The Pretty

Students' First Map
~below grade level
Total Recall is a great app for reading comprehension and recall. An unexpected benefit of using Total Recall is that a student who has terrible speech patterns and intense stuttering, made an enormous effort to think carefully and focus while verbally filling in his bubbles! I was not prepared for how motivating it would be for him. He is not self-conscious at all about his speech, so he will stutter and blurt out frequently. He quickly learned, without feeling judged, that he simply will not be understood unless he slows down and forms the sentence in his mind before saying it aloud. Also, the maps are pretty!

Remember how cautious I was at the beginning of the semester? No more. I've embraced the technology I've been exposed to. Hopefully, this is just the beginning.
Students' First Map
~far below grade level
The next maps will be more complex. I think I will present them with the first bubbles that they can edit, and let them take it from there; something like this...

Follow Up: It worked beautifully! Here is the students' finished map...


4 comments:

  1. OMG Delia! How far you have come! I am so impressed that you have embraced all of this technology and love how you are integrating with your every day lessons. I bet these kids are more attentive when they have the technology to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are integrating new ideas each week! Congratulations on the good, the "still room for improvement", and the pretty! I'm so glad that you are finding Nearpod to be a helpful tool, and the looks on your students' faces tells me they are loving it too! For Shadow Puppet EDU check in your Settings, go down to Puppet EDU, then look to see if Microphone is enabled. See you tomorrow! Please show us your Nearpod!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very impressed! I wish I had technology to use like you do...soon! Love the Total Recall which is something I would like to use. Seems easy? Great progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is WONDERFUL! I needed a good example for Total Recall. I'm going to use that this week for sure. We're working on identifying key details so I can see this being pretty motivating for my students as well.

    I'd never considered how filling in a voice bubble could help a kiddo feel motivated to use the strategies he or she is learning during speech class in your class! For those students who have the skills in isolation but are having trouble transferring them to conversational speech I could see how that would work beautifully. The iPad isn't judging, it just has to be precise. It's easier to get negative feedback from an iPad because there's no stigma there. That's so cool Delia.

    High five to you! I know I saw some of this last week in class but I didn't get your blog read before I saw you. So, late commenter, but WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete